Tattoo aftercare is one of the most important steps when getting a new tattoo. The aftercare process will help ensure that your tattoo heals correctly and will look its best for years to come. Searching the internet you will see that there are many opinions on what works best, but at Chronic Ink we've come up with a recommended set of procedures that we feel set you up for success. Any work that your artist does will open up the skin and compromise the ability to fight off infection. A proper aftercare process will help ensure that the skin in and around the area will stay free of infection and create an environment that encourages healing. Remember, aftercare is just as important as making that initial appointment with a tattoo artist. How well your tattoo holds up to the test of time will be forever determined by how good of a job you did with your aftercare routine.
What's The Best Tattoo Aftercare?
- Take off the artist-applied wrapping after 2 hours
- Wash the area gently with unscented soap
- Gently pat dry with a clean towel
- Once the tattoo feels dry (generally after 2-4 days) use an aftercare lotion to moisten the area
- Apply the aftercare lotion 2-3 times daily, as needed
- Repeat steps 2-5 until your new tattoo is completely healed (usually 15-21 days)
What To Avoid?
- Do not scratch or touch your new tattoo
- Do not go sun tanning until your tattoo is fully healed
- Do not go swimming until your tattoo is fully healed
- Do not let your pets touch your new tattoo