What is the Significance of the Dove?
- Mythological Significance
- In Greek and Roman mythology, the Greek goddess, Aphrodite, was said to be carried in a chariot driven by doves. Also, all seven of her daughters are referred to as a flock of doves. The Aztec’s believed that the goddess of love, Xochiquetzal, was a representation of the dove. The dove also has importance in Native American culture as some tribes believed that doves are transformed spirits of the dead. And today, many American Indians use the dove tattoo to show this association.
- Early Christianity
- Traditionally, in Christianity, the dove holding the olive branch represents peace and harmony. The dove is also associated with Jesus and the Holy Spirit. In fact, many pieces of Christian art depict Jesus surrounded by flocks of doves.
- Messengers of God
- Look around the internet and you will be sure to find many stories about doves carrying messages from God. The dove is commonly seen as a symbol of victory, God’s will, love and peace.
- Doves, as in the ones from the story of Noah and the Arc, represent fresh starts and new beginnings. Therefore, dove tattoos often symbolize starting over.
- Tattoos depicting a dove holding an olive branch in its talons represents both victory and success. Many people will often get this tattoo to symbolize successes in both relationships and life.
- Family Bonds
- Since both the male and female dove mate for life and take care of their family together, getting a tattoo with a dove or a mated pair of doves can represent a commitment to both your family and children.
What are Some Meanings of the Dove Tattoo?As stated earlier, the dove tattoo can mean just about anything to anyone who chooses to get it inked on their body. Whatever the meaning, know that there is always a special significance behind it. Some common meanings of the dove tattoo are:
- World Peace
- New beginnings
- Free Spirit
- Messages from a higher power
What are Some Custom Dove Tattoo Designs?Dove tattoos come in all shapes, designs, and sizes. Popular designs include dove tattoos paired with hearts or praying hands. However, some people also choose to get a doves and clouds tattoo. Whatever the design, you should first do some research in order to find the tattoo that has the strongest meaning for you. For example, couples will oftentimes choose a single dove tattoo to symbolize their love for one another. Still others have images of a dove tattooed with ribbons running throughout with the words “family” or “mom” inked inside to symbolize the strength of a family bond. Many Christians will also have a dove tattoo paired with a cross, Jesus, or other biblical symbols.
What are Some Dove Tattoo Designs for Men?While some men opt to go for more traditional dove tattoo designs like doves with olive branches or white doves surrounded by ribbons with names of loved ones on them, others choose to go in a strikingly different direction. It seems some men in Downtown Toronto, Mississauga and Vancouver are having doves holding grenades tattooed on them as a way of showing the yin-and yang of life. Put simply, the dove symbolizes peace and purity, while the grenade symbolizes hate, death, and war. When a dove is depicted holding a grenade, this means that both peace and war go hand-in-hand.
Some common dove tattoos for men are:
- Dove outlines
- Two doves with a lock and key
- A dove chest or sternum tattoo
- A tattoo of a flying dove
Ready to Explore Dove Tattoos Further?
Drop by schedule an appointment with the expert team at Chronic Ink Tattoo in Toronto, Mississauga or Vancouver. Our friendly team of talented artists are highly creative and will make sure the end result is something you’ll be proud of.Tell us Your Idea
378 Yonge Street, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1S6 Directions
252 Eglinton Ave East, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K2 Directions
7381 Kennedy Road, Unit #105, Markham, Ontario L3R 5B5 Directions
Upper Canada Mall 17600 Yonge Street, Newmarket, ON L3Y 4Z1 Directions