POPULAR TYPES OF HEART TATTOOS
- BLACK HEARTS TATTOOS
- Black hearts represent tragedy, devastation, and overall sadness. Many people have chosen black heart tattoos to express losing someone in an accident or to represent a devastating disaster such as 9/11 or the loss of a loved one. Alternatively, when filled in, the black heart can be a reminder to the individual to not to wear their heart on their sleeve as they have a cold, black heart.
- FLAMING HEART TATTOOS
- A flaming heart tattoo represents a passionate love for someone. Whether this tattoo is dedicated to a soulmate or a family member, the flames on either side of the heart symbolize a never-ending spirit of love. But this heart doesn’t have to be tied to any one particular person or relationship, it can also mean that the wearer loves passionately in general.
- WINGED HEART TATTOO
- A heart with wings symbolizes freedom and spirit when it comes to love. For those individuals, the heart and their love are as free as the birds, and likewise cannot be contained or caged by the restraints of others or society. In other cases, the wings have to be earned, and represent the spirituality and freedom as wings allow you to fly.
- DAGGER HEART TATTOOS
- Dagger heart tattoos are primarily popular with men, and consists of a heart with a dagger stabbing through from top to bottom. These tattoos can have both a positive and negative meaning; the positive symbolism represents courage and bravery while the negative aspect symbolizes grief and struggle. Men will also often opt for a dagger heart tattoo to represent heartache or the loss of a loved one either in death or as part of a bad breakup.
- BROKEN HEART TATTOOS
- Usually designed with a crack down the middle, a broken heart tattoo stands for a loss of a loved one who is still alive, namely a significant other that you are no longer with. On the other hand, a broken heart can also be designed with stitches running through the middle of the heart. A stitched heart symbolizes recovery and healing from a loss.
- TINY HEART TATTOOS
- A tiny heart can either symbolize courage and compassion, or it can represent Christianity as it symbolizes a sacred heart. These tattoos are more often a feminine representation of the heart and are great for those just getting started with tattoos or who need something small they can hide when at work.
- HEARTBEAT TATTOOS
- A heartbeat tattoo symbolizes power, strength, and endurance. Particularly, the heartbeat line represents one’s ability to keep moving forward in their life, especially through tough times that try to prevent them from moving ahead. The most interesting part of a heartbeat tattoo is the potential to personalize this tattoo design; for example, the heartbeat line can be that of a loved one who has passed away or perhaps the heartbeat is one that is taken from an ultrasound.
- ANATOMICAL HEART TATTOOS
- An anatomical heart tattoo, also known as the human heart tattoo, usually symbolizes a passion for good health and medicine.
- HEART AND KEY TATTOOS
- A heart that has a lock and a key represents soulmates. When it comes to heart and key tattoos, the heart usually represents the person who has the tattoo while the key represents the person that inspired it.
- THREE HEARTS TATTOOS
- The three hearts tattoos are designed of three separate hearts that are linked together horizontally. These three hearts most commonly symbolize the past, the present, and the future. They can also represent a sort of love triangle that defines the person getting the tattoo; for example, three parts of their personality or the three things that this person values most in their life.
- THE INFINITY HEART
- An infinity symbol represents the notion of “forever,” so a heart infinity tattoo symbolizes a forever love or unconditional love.
- OPEN HEART TATTOOS
- Open heart tattoos are a more modern tattoo design that represents sisterhood, marriage, best friends, and stability. A lot of times, two people will choose to get this heart tattoo together to represent unity and trust.
- HALF HEART TATTOOS
- Similar to the open heart tattoo, a half heart tattoo symbolizes a certain bond you have with another person. Both parties generally get one half of the heart which represents strength in their relationship and a powerful bond that lasts forever.
FINAL THOUGHTS REGARDING HEART TATTOOSIn the end, a heart tattoo symbolizes the current state of love that your heart is in. Heart tattoos are great for making a personalized statement as well as display someone’s passion for the feeling of love.
Ready to find your own perfect heart tattoo?
Do you live in or around the Toronto, Markham, Mississauga or Kitsilano Vancouver area? Interested in getting your first, or perhaps 3rd or 5th or 10th tattoo? We’re the place to call! Our team of passionate, talented and professional tattoo artists can help you find the perfect design for your next tattoo. Stop by or reach out today for more info.Tell us Your Idea
Looking for your next Tattoo Idea?
Browse our selection of one of a kinda tattoo designs created by our Chronic Ink artists. Each piece is individual and will only ever be tattooed once.