Scorpion tattoos have long captivated individuals seeking meaningful and visually striking body art. As one of nature's most enigmatic creatures, scorpions embody a rich symbolism that resonates with diverse cultures and personal beliefs. In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of scorpion tattoos, exploring their cultural significance and popular designs.
What do scorpions symbolize in different cultures?
Scorpions hold diverse symbolic meanings across various cultures and belief systems. Here are some interpretations:
Ancient Egypt: In ancient Egyptian mythology, scorpions represented protection and transformation. The goddess Isis was associated with scorpions, symbolizing her powers of healing and fertility.
Greek Mythology: In Greek mythology, scorpions were linked to the story of Orion, a hunter. Orion was stung by a scorpion and died, resulting in the placement of both the hunter and the scorpion as constellations in the night sky.
Native American Cultures: Several Native American tribes associate scorpions with survival, resilience, and adaptability. They view scorpions as guides through challenging situations.
Asian Cultures: In Chinese and Japanese cultures, scorpions represent protection against evil spirits and bad luck. They are seen as guardians and symbols of courage.
What is the Meaning of a Scorpion Tattoo?Along with danger and ferocity, scorpion tattoos can also symbolize:
- Fear and Intimidation
- Deep and Fiery Sexuality and Passion
- Strength and Tenacity
What Do Scorpion Tattoos Represent?
Scorpion tattoos mean a lot of things. In particular, the tattoos take on both the literal and the deeply symbolic nature of the creature. For example, tribal scorpion tattoos are rumoured to ward against evil spirits, while a general scorpion tattoo design can symbolize male arousal and sexuality because of the seductive dance that the creature does to impress its female counterpart. On a woman, a scorpion tattoo could represent strength and her ability to go up against anyone regardless of size, place in society, or position. Even though scorpions are pretty and tend to be on the smaller side, they are both mighty and fearless.
Scorpion and rose tattoos convey to others that living things should not be judged by their appearances. Even though both are very beautiful, both the scorpion and the rose can bring about great pain and should be admired from afar. Those with scorpions and roses tattooed on their body send a message to others that it may be difficult to get emotionally or physically too close to them.
Many individuals choose to get a scorpion tattoo simply because it is their zodiac sign, as these individuals are also known to be Scorpios. Scorpios are said to be devoted, loyal, sensitive, focused, brave, ambitious, sensual, intuitive, jealous, secretive, and resentful, among others.
Scorpion Tattoo IdeasThere are many different variations of the basic scorpion tattoos. If picking the right scorpion tattoo feels overwhelming, you may want to schedule a consultation with your tattoo artist. Some interesting scorpion tattoo ideas are:
- Having a flame, or a rose inked onto the end of the scorpion’s stinger
- A scorpion that is inked using all black and then finished off with red eyes
- Adding in other symbols along with the scorpion such as a tribal tattoo, dice, roses, or a race car
- Opting to get the word “scorpion” written in Chinese characters instead of having a physical scorpion drawn onto your body
- A scorpion made entirely out of stars-as in a scorpion constellation
- A scorpion inked with a variety of colors, or with a banner of words surrounding it, or inked in a simple, yet classic black and white style
- A scorpion that intermingles with the Scorpio zodiac sign
- A scorpion that is holding a sword to convey power
- A stunning and symbolic scorpion tribal tattoo
Even though scorpion tattoos are usually very small, they can still be inked in a variety of different shapes, sizes, and colors. Think outside of the box and go for reds, browns, blacks, blues, and even yellows and greens. As with any tattoo, it’s best to always do your research before sitting down to get your scorpion tattoo.
Popular Locations For Scorpion TattoosSome of the more popular locations for scorpion tattoos are:
Our Favourite Tattoo Aftercare
After InkedAfter Inked Tattoo Moisturizer delivers effective skin moisturization and helps to preserve the colours of your tattoos. There's no petroleum so it won't stick to or stain your clothes. This moisturizing skin lotion, enriched with Grape Seed Oil, can also be used on any permanent makeup procedure on lips, brows, eye liner, and areola, as well as an after-laser tattoo removal moisturizing lotion. After Inked is Dermatologist tested, non-allergenic and non-irritating.
PurSanPurSan Aftercare is a specially formulated Vegan skin cleanser used to clean and moisturize as part of an aftercare regimen for fresh tattoos and piercings. It revitalizes, refreshes and purifies skin without drying it out. Gentle yet effective, PurSan contains no parabens, fragrances, colourants or alcohol. Chloroxylenol (PCMX) is a proven antimicrobial ingredient shown to be effective against bacteria and viruses without burning or irritating the skin. Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Hypromellose) is an ultra-high grade lubricant ideal for sensitive skin.
Basic Tattoo AftercareTaking care of your new scorpion tattoo is simple and easy to do if you closely follow the directions for aftercare that your tattoo artist gives you. An easy way to make sure that your scorpion tattoo lasts a lifetime is to:
- Keep the bandage on for at least one hour after you get your tattoo.
- After you take off the bandage, wash the area thoroughly with warm or hot water and a mild, liquid, unscented soap.
- Pat the area dry with a clean paper towel.
- Apply a thin layer of product such as A&D Ointment or an unscented, natural lotion.
- Keep the tattoo clean with a mild, unscented liquid soap and water.
- Repeat the process for one to two weeks.
- Stay out of the sun and avoid soaking your tattoo in pools, Jacuzzis, oceans, or bath water.
- Use sunblock on your healed tattoo.
- Take good care of your skin as well as the tattooed area.
- Schedule a follow-up with your tattoo artist if the tattoo needs touching up.
Ready to Explore Scorpion Designs for your Next Tattoo?
At Chronic Ink and Tattoo, our talented team of professional body artists are ready to help you find the perfect scorpion tattoo design that you won’t want to wait to show off.
If you’re in the Toronto, Markham, Mississauga, Kitsilano Vancouver area don’t hesitate to give us a call today or stop by one of our tattoo shops.Tell us Your Idea