History of the Wrist TattooPeople love wrist tattoos, and it is easy to see why. These small but stylish tattoos can be very fashionable. Wrist tattoos were first worn by those who adventured in the ocean, with the nautical star being a popular and quite common early design. Believed to guide and protect the wearer, these tattoos were also considered to heal disease. In the 1950s and 60s, members of the gay and lesbian community adapted these tattoos to represent their sexuality. Today, the wrist is just one of many body parts to be tattooed and holds no associated meaning, although tattoos do often hold deep personal significance.
Do Wrist Tattoos Hurt?All tattoos hurt to some extent. That being said, the wrist is an area full of nerves where the skin is thinner. Because of this, the wrist is generally more sensitive than other areas and can be more painful than some other tattoos.
Popular Wrist TattoosThere are many eye-catching wrist tattoos to consider, and a variety of styles and options fit to suit virtually any personality. We will go over a few of the most popular wrist tattoo designs to keep in mind when choosing your own tattoo or to use for inspiration when conceptualizing your own unique design.
- Heart Tattoo
- Whether you just like the design of hearts, or you want to remember someone special in your life, heart tattoos look great on the wrist. Some choose to place a name in the heart, while couples may have different halves of the same heart on the wrists, which pair together when they place their wrists beside each other.
- Flower Tattoos
- Generally, flower tattoos are preferred by women, flowers can be found on the inner area of the wrist or as a bracelet. These are extremely colorful and beautiful wrist tattoos. They can be extremely ornate or simple and small.
- Bracelet Tattoos
- Bracelet tattoos wrap around the entire wrist and can come in many different forms:
- A vine can wrap down your arm to the wrist
- You can choose to imitate the design of a piece of jewellery
- Flowers make popular bracelet tattoos
- Star Tattoos
- You can choose to have a cluster of stars or even just one. Stars can come in many different sizes and colours, depending on the wearer’s desire. The choice of star tattoos can inspire dreaminess or show your love for astronomy. The meaning of the tattoo is up to you.
- Musical Notes
- Music note tattoos demonstrate your passion for the musical arts. Beyond notes, some choose to have treble clefs, bass clefs, or even phrases from songs written on their wrists. You could even combine a heart and music symbol to show your love of music.
- Zodiac Signs
- Many choose to wear something that symbolizes their zodiac sign tattoo on the inner wrist. You may be paying homage to your sign or perhaps warning others about certain aspects of your personality!
Our Favourite Tattoo Aftercare
After InkedAfter Inked Tattoo Moisturizer delivers effective skin moisturization and helps to preserve the colours of your tattoos. There's no petroleum so it won't stick to or stain your clothes. This moisturizing skin lotion, enriched with Grape Seed Oil, can also be used on any permanent makeup procedure on lips, brows, eye liner, and areola, as well as an after-laser tattoo removal moisturizing lotion. After Inked is Dermatologist tested, non-allergenic and non-irritating.
PurSanPurSan Aftercare is a specially formulated Vegan skin cleanser used to clean and moisturize as part of an aftercare regimen for fresh tattoos and piercings. It revitalizes, refreshes and purifies skin without drying it out. Gentle yet effective, PurSan contains no parabens, fragrances, colourants or alcohol. Chloroxylenol (PCMX) is a proven antimicrobial ingredient shown to be effective against bacteria and viruses without burning or irritating the skin. Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Hypromellose) is an ultra-high grade lubricant ideal for sensitive skin.
Ready to get your Wrist Tattoo?
Our talented tattoo artists at Chronic Ink Tattoo would love to work with you. Wether you are looking for a fine line tattoos or small realism tattoos, we've got artists that are comfortable and confident tattoo in any style.Tell us Your Idea
378 Yonge Street, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1S6 Directions
252 Eglinton Ave East, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K2 Directions
7381 Kennedy Road, Unit #105, Markham, Ontario L3R 5B5 Directions
100 City Centre Dr., Unit #2-311, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2C9 Directions
Looking for your next Tattoo Idea?
Browse our selection of one of a kinda tattoo designs created by our Chronic Ink artists. Each piece is individual and will only ever be tattooed once.